I co-edited it with Wendy Nelles, who also worked on the first book, Hot Apple Cider, with me.
• A unique collection of inspirational stories, poems and articles
• Real stories, real people, real faith
• Great writing
• Honesty and vulnerability combined with hope
• Well-known, experienced writers and passionate, new writers
• Gentle humor, warm encouragement, and stimulating challenges
• An attractive, gift book layout
I have one piece in this book, a short story called "Twenty-Five Years Later." It's about a 47-year-old woman who's headed for a weekend with three other women she hasn't seen since shortly after they graduated from college twenty-five years before.
Nervous? You bet she's nervous. It's been years since she heard those voices in her head telling her she isn't good enough and warning her that she'll make a fool of herself. But she's hearing them now, in surround-sound.
Faith Today Magazine
- "Some books surprise you with their ability to take your breath away. This anthology is such a book…."
- "I was impressed with the honesty and transparency, especially in the true stories."
- "We meet a host of fellow Canadians – our neighbours! – whose lives are as unpredictable as our own."
- "What binds all the pieces together is a cord of faith as we see how God is involved in the very real circumstances of life."
- "The book wonderfully reflects Canada’s mosaic population with pieces from First Nations to home-born Canadians to immigrants, young to old, urban to rural. Though the writing styles are varied, the book was skillfully edited to preserve the individual voices while providing a smooth read."
- "The short selections make this a perfect book for even indifferent readers. It would be a fabulous addition to an office waiting room, your bedside table, briefcase, backpack or purse. But be sure to buy more than one, for you will probably have the urge to share this gem of a collection with others…"
Midwest Book Review, June 11, 2011, Religion/Spirituality Shelf
"Sometimes all you need is a reminder that there is something good in the world. A Second Cup of Hot Apple Cider: Words to Stimulate the Mind and Delight the Spirit is a combination of short stories, poetry, and works of memoir picked for their inspirational nature, dedicated to finding a shining light in our lives that so often turn dark. The stories within are touching and poignant, and will help readers remember that there is something after the worst of it all. A Second Cup of Hot Apple Cider is a follow up to the previous acclaimed volume, and the sequel executes the original's purpose masterfully."
The Koala Bear Writer
"The very first story in A Second Cup of Hot Apple Cider left me in tears. The next stories kept me turning pages, wanting more. Like the first anthology, this one is a collection of fiction, poetry, and nonfiction, and my only complaint about both anthologies is that there isn't enough fiction. The majority of both books is nonfiction, but the fiction stories in both books are my favourite parts.
"'Twenty-five Years Later' by N. J. Lindquist is the story of five college girls, gathering for a reunion twenty-five years after graduation. They haven't seen each other since they graduated and each one has changed quite a bit. It made me think of my own group of college girlfriends (especially as we plan our own weekend "reunion" this year). I loved the twist at the ending, as the main character, Marianne, who has struggled for years with insecurity and wonders what her friends saw in her all those years ago, finally has an answer." Read the entire review
Meet all the contributors and find out when there might be a signing or reading near you at hotapplecider.ca